If my professor had an injunction for harassment placed on me, is it possible to talk the judge privately about taking this off my record but keeping the injunction in place?

I lost the hearing so the order remains in effect. I’m a successful student and I don’t want this to ruin me. Will this ruin my chance at a good job? My conduct wasn’t violent or sexual.

Asked on August 4, 2014 under Personal Injury, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) You *cannot* speak private to the judge: one party to a legal matter may not engage in "ex parte"--or one-on-one--communications with the court; rather, your professor has to be cc'd on any communcations, so he or she has the right to present his or her position.

2) Any court orders, including injunctions, are inherently public documents; while they can be sealed in exceptional cases (e.g. minors; for victims of sexual abuse), it  is very unlikely they would be in this case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.