What to do if I make too much to qualify for legal aid but I don’t have the money to hire an attorney?

Is there anywhere that I can go to get legal advise about my case?

Asked on February 28, 2013 under Criminal Law, West Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You may have several options here. You can try legal aid or see if there is a law school clinic nearby to where you live (they typically handle these type of cases for little or no cost). You can also contact your county's bar association to see if they have attorneys who will take your case pro bono (i.e. for free) or at least for a reduced fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.