If my previous job is denying me the week back payI am owed, what canI do?

I was fired and they are not going to give me the1e weeks back pay they owe me. I worked it and want to know how to get it in the best way?

Asked on August 30, 2011 Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Texas payday laws require employers to pay employees the amounts they are due by their regularly scheduled paydays.  The only time they can withhold funds from a check is when you have given consent for them to do so (like to pay for meals you ate on the job) or they have a court order (for example, child support withholding).  An easy first step is to file a complaint with the Texas Workforce Commission.  They have a website that can direct you to a location near you if you want to visit with someone in person.  This is a good starting option since it's free.  Another option, is to see if you can hire an attorney for a nominal fee to send a simple demand letter.  Many employers tend to pony-up once they get a letter explaining the law and the error or their ways.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.