What to do if my place of employment is disciplining me for calling the police?

I am a teacher and I called 911 during a fight at school. I am being disciplined for calling the police. Apparently, I did not ask permission to call 911 before doing so. I thought calling the police was a civil right?

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Calling the police is a "civil right" only inasmuch as any person in the U.S. has the right to call them when there is a crime, emergency, etc. However, your right to call the police does not affect your employer's right to set rules, procedures, etc. for the workplace, including requiring that an issue be reported first to the administration (or whatever the rule is) before the police are called. So you *can* call the police, but if your employer deemed you acted inappropriately, it may still take job action against you, subject only to any contracts--including any union or collective bargaining agreements--which govern your employment. If there is a contract, you may not be disciplined in a way or for a cause which violates its terms.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.