If it is suspected that my personal vehicle was vandalized by a fellow employee in the company parking lot, what can I do?

Asked on March 23, 2011 under Criminal Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

1) You can sue the employee, if you think there is evidence to prove he or she did it. You can sue for the cost of repair.

2) You can report the crime--since vandalism is a crime--to the police and press charges.

3) IF the employer had prior notice that this employee either generally was a threat (e.g. had vandalized other property) or had made threats specifically against you, you may be able to sue the employer as well for "negligent supervision." However, if there was no reasonable way the employer should have been on warning or anticipated this, the employer would not be liable.

4) You might be able to get  some sort of protective order against the employee.

5) The company may choose to take employment action--e.g. fire the other employee--if they are notified of this, but they don't have to; however, if they are notified and do not take action, then they may be liable for subsequent harm done by this person.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.