my paycheck was given to a co-worker who refuses to give it to me or cashed it without my permission.

I’m working farm labor , 3 employees including myself ride with a 4th
employee and each of the three of us pay gas money to the 4th
We pay 10.00 per day we have done this for aprox 3 months. We have
changed employers 3 times . The employee who drives like to consider
himself a supervisor or manager . recently our payroll checks were given
to the crew leader who then gave my and one other employees payroll
check to the driver or 4th employee. of the three of us who ride share
one rode with the driver and got his check while the 2 of us ended up
with no check because driver decided one of us owed gas money to him
for too long and I shouuld have been more aggressive in making the one
who owed gas money too long pay sooner.

Asked on January 1, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have two options:
1) Contact the police, file a police report, and press charges for theft: he has no legal right to you check, and in taking your check, has stolen from you.
2) Sue him in small claims court for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.