What to do if my partner is the biological mother of our children and we and their father would like for me to adopt them through second-parent adoption?

The father is willing to terminate his parents rights. Is this legally possible? Would the father still be obligated to pay child support after termination?

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Family Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the biological father of the children you wish to adopt is willing to allow you to adopt his children where he ends up giving up all of his parental rights such is allowable under the laws of all states in this country after a hearing in court and a court order.

Assuming the adoption happens, the biological father would have no parental rights nor any legal obligations to pay child support for the children. Rather, you as the adopted father would have all the rights and obligations of a parent and would be responsible for supporting these children that you have adopted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.