If my partner and I want to enter a domestic partnership, how will this impact our finances and health insurance policies?

We want to enter into a domestic partnership in the state of Maryland. If we will be residing in Nebraska (which does not recognize domestic partnerships), how will this impact state taxes? What is the impact on federal taxes and federal financial aid for undergraduate and graduate (medical) school? Will we be removed from our current health insurance policies (my partner is covered by her parent’s insurance, I am covered by my late mother’s government health insurance plan)?

Asked on July 3, 2012 under Family Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the state of your domicile does not recognize domestic partnerships then each of you will be filing separate and single state and federal tax returns with respect to your yearly income tax returns.

As to impact for undergraduate and graduate medical school as to tax returns, such is decided upon the basis of the individual tax returns filed as "single" since Nebraska does not recognize domestic partnerships and Nebraska will be your state of residence.

As to being covered under your current health insurance policies so long as the premiums are being paid and the policies are being renewed on a yearly basis the carriers issuing the two separate health insurance policies cannot legally remove you from such just because you entered into a domestic partnership in Maryland.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.