If my parents have temporary custody of my child but I live with them and have been taking care of her for the last 2 years, what steps do I need to take in order to regain custody?

Asked on January 12, 2013 under Family Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that there is a court order or agreement allowing your parents to have temporary custody of your minor child, you need to prepare a new agreement to be signed by you and your parents changing custody back to you to be signed by all concerned.

If there is a court order on file, you need to submit the signed agreement and an order on it to the court for filing. I suggest that you may want to consult with a family law attorney as to this matter for assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.