If my parents got divorced and decided that they would leave the paid off house they owned together to us, their children, who is responsible for transferring the title?

Whose responsibility is it to change the title/deed to my siblings and I? Would it be my parents’ responsibility?

Asked on November 29, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Texas


G.J., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since your parents are alive, they have the responsibility of tranfering the deed. Your/siblings along with your parents must also sign the transfer forms in front of a nortary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.