What can be done if my parents bought a house a little over a year ago, when they purchased the house there was no disclosure of a foundation issue and the inspector did not mention it?

Well after a few months they started to get cracks in the ceiling and the tile started to crack. The garage door is not level so it looks as though he garage is sinking, in the last month they found to large cracks on the outside of the house near the garage that were covered up. It is going to cost a lot to get the foundation fixed, do they have a case against the seller or inspector?

Asked on September 28, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your parents would file one lawsuit naming the inspector and the seller as defendants.  
The inspector would be sued for negligence which is the failure to exercise due care that degree of care that a reasonable home inspector would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm.
The seller would be sued for fraud.  Fraud is the intentional misrepresentation of a material fact made with knowledge of its falsity and with the intent to induce reliance upon which your parents justifiably relied to their detriment.
In other words, your parents would not have purchased the house had they known of its condition.
Fraud also applies in cases of nondisclosure of a material fact by the seller which the buyer could not have reasonably discovered prior to purchase.
Your parents damages monetary compensation they are seeking in their lawsuit for fraud would be either the benefit of the bargain or their out of pocket loss.
Benefit of the bargain means that a defrauded purchaser can recover the difference between the real and represented value of the property purchased  regardless of the fact that the actual loss suffered might have been less.
Out of pocket determination of damages for fraudulent misrepresentation permits recovery of the difference between the price paid and the actual value of the property acquired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.