If my parent has been receiving and spending my refund checks from college without my permission, is that illegal and is there a way to get it back?

I was underage when I began college and was not allowed to open my own bank account. They have been receiving my refund and spent it all without asking and have been telling me that they have saved it in an account for me.

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have been paying for your college expenses from which the refund checks arise from such payments, then you are entitled to the refund checks and not your parents. If they were paying for your college expenses, then your parents should be entitled to the refund checks for such expenses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.