What to do if my elderly mother was bitten viciously by a pitbull as she was cooking food in a couple’s home while they were at work?

Her entire thigh was bleeding and there is a massive swollen area the size of a frisbee.The police and animal control came immediately and a report was filed. Days later the couple asked my mother to settle for a figure less than a $1,000 and drafted an informal contract that she didn’t understand because she can’t speak English well. Thinking it was a receipt, she signed the contract but doesn’t have a copy. The only people there as witnesses were the couple and my mother, no notary. She now wants to sue them. Can this still be done even after signing? How should she proceed?

Asked on January 31, 2013 under Personal Injury, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that your mother consult with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible with respect to the dog bit she suffered and the document she signed which she seemingly did not understand its contents and does not have a copy of it. What the dog's owners had your mother sign and the way it was done could very well be deemed by the court as an invalid agreement.

Based upon what you have written about, a lawsuit does not seemed barred at this point in time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.