What to do if my old landlord is refusing to return my security deposit?

He said it went to painting and new carpeting. Does he have to send me an itemized bill. It’s been 60 days since I moved out

Asked on September 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your landlord is supposed to provide an itemized statement of all deductions from your security deposit. If you believe your landlord has overwithheld or withheld from your deposit without justification, you could sue him in small claims court for its return; in court, he'll have to justify his deductions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.