What to do if my office just received bills for snowplowing from as far back as 20 months ago but there has been no bill sent before this and they are close to $10,000?

And there is no contract between the parties. Is my employer responsible for the fees charged?

Asked on September 22, 2015 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There was a contract, even if no written one--there would have been an oral agreement to pay the contractor for plowing, unless you are writing about a situation where someone randomly snowplowed without anyone asking or authorizing them to do do. Assuming, though, that wasn't the case, then there was a contract, albeit an oral one. And the statute of limitations for an oral contract in your state is 4 years, which means they can take action e.g. sue to collect the money up to 4 years later. If the work was in fact done, and the bills are in line with the prices, rates, etc. the office had agreed to, then the office is obligated to pay. If the work wasn't done or the rate is higher than agreed to, that's a different story--you are only obligated to pay the agreed-upon amounts for work actually done.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.