What to do if my 9 year old daughter was playing at her friend’s and was shot in the head with an arrow?

A neighbor boy was outside, unsupervised and playing with a bow and arrow. When he shot it, the arrow hit my daughter in the head. The cops won’t do anything to the boy or his parents because the boy said it was a accident. Is there anything I can do to get justice for my daughter?

Asked on June 20, 2014 under Personal Injury, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

First, I am hoping that your daughter is fine and grateful if that is the case. Next, I think that it may be in your best interest to speak with an attorney that handles Personal injury cases and criminal cases.  Michigan is one of the states that has a Parental Responsibility statute (sometimes called Failure to Supervise). For example, the City of Bridgman has the following: 

(a) It is the continuous duty of the Responsible Person to exercise reasonable control to prevent the minor from committing any delinquent act. 

(b) No Responsible Person shall fail to exercise reasonable control over such minor. 

A parent is a responsible person.  If firing the bow and arrow could be construed under state law as a "delinquent act" then the parents could be civilly liable.  Seek help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.