Whatt o do if my next door neighbor had their lawyer send me a letter about huge trees that they claimed posed a risk to their house?

I had them checked by an arborist, one was almost cut down all the way, the other deemed healthy. Now they sent another letter saying I had not been cooperative, threatened legal action and that they had sustained “damages” to their roof from falling needles and debris. They want all overhanging branches (tresspass) cut. They want $652 for their “damages” (no bill provided) or they will take further action. They live bordered by a forest and my tree hangs over 1/10th of their roof. They have argued with everyone who has ever lived here about leaves etc.from the forest. Should I get an attorney?

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, I would pay to have the tree trimmed back away from their property and roof instead of paying an attorney.  They also have always havd the right to trim back the tree that overhangs on to their property.  As for their damages, let them prove them.  They will sue you in small claims court.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.