If a minor has an accident while uninsured, are they legally liable?

My nephew lives with me while he is going to college. His father is in prison; his mother is unable to provide for him. When he was 17 (2 years ago) his father let him drive the family vehicle without telling him the insurance was expired. My nephew got into an accident, so then presented the insurance card. Within 2 months of the accident, his father went to prison and his mother moved out of the house that was being foreclosed. He was left to live in the home on his own with no electricity or running water. He moved into a friend’s home to finish high school and then my home. Now, nearly 2 years later, the insurance company is seeking over $50,000 in medical and damages from my nephew. Is this legal? Does he have to pay?

Asked on September 14, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country if your nephew who is and was a minor when the automobile that you have written about occurred and IF he caused the accident (was at fault and people were injured as well as property), he is liable under the laws of all states for the damages he caused by his negligence. The damages would be stated in terms and dollars and cents. I suggest that your nephew consult with a personal injury defense attorney to assist him in the matter you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.