What are my rights if my neighbor’s tree fell on my property and destroyed my trees?

About a year ago, I informed my neighbor that a very large tree on his property

was dead and threatening to fall on the trees on my property. He ignored my

offer to pay half the cost of cutting down his tree. He said,

Asked on November 23, 2018 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, a property owner bears no liability if a tree on their property falls onto neighboring property due to an "act of God", such as a storm. However, if they are put on notice that their tree is dead or dying and in danger of falling and it in fact falls due to this, then they are liable for all damages incurred on the neighbor's property. Failing to act and cut the tree down constitutes negligence. Accordingly, your neighbor is legally liable for any costs that you incur regarding your damages, as well as the clean-up of all debris. 

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you do have recourse to sue, because you put him on notice or warning that he was tree was dead and threatening to fall. He was therefore aware of a specific risk or theat. If someone does not take reasonable steps to ameliorate or mitigate a known threat, he becomes liable for the damage done or costs incurred. Depending on the amount, suing in small claims court as your own attorney or pro se may be a cost-effective option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.