If my neighbor’s sprinkler system is 2 feet on my property, can I build my fence and will I be liable for their broken pipes?

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First I would advise your neighbor that his or her underground sprinkler is encroaching on your property and ask that the sprinkler system be cut back to the true property line. Once done, then you install your fence.

If the neighbor refuses to move back the sprinkler system, you need to consult with a real estate attorney in that you do not want a prescriptive easement situation to arise where your neighbor claims an interest in your land.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.