What are my rights if my neighbor was “scalping” his Bermuda grass by setting it on firebut healso burned my landscaping in the process?

I am out of the country and have been renting the home out while I’m gone. My tenant though has recorded the date of the occurrence, has taken before and after pictures, and has a copy of the incident report from the fire department. The neighbor verbally told him that he would get it fixed. I have contacted a landscaper to provide an estimate to replace the damaged bushes because they will not survive. The total cost is approximately $2,000. After contacting the neighbor through e-mail, no word has been received since. I think my next step is to talk to an attorney and sue.

Asked on March 31, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should consider a couple of options. Since the amount is $2,000.00 or so (hoping this the amount with labor costs included), contact your state's small claims court in the county in which you reside and see if the small claims cap is greater than or lesser than $2,000.00.  If the cap is greater than $2,000.00 you might be bale to sue in small claims court to lower your overall legal costs but remember, no matter which route you go, you still have to deal with actual payment. Just because you obtain a judgment doesn't mean the neighbor will automatically pay you. If he plays games, you will need to go back for a payment plan or order to garnish his wages, his assets (yes, that includes cars, homes, bank accounts) and what ever else you can attach a lien to to get your payment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.