What are my rights if my neighbor started a trucking yard next to my home?

I bought my home 3 years ago. It is in a 1.50 acre lots subdivision of manufactured homes and is nice and quiet. There are some truckers like myself who bring trucks home some times. However, now my neighbor has decided to make her place a truck yard, so there are semis leaving at all hours of the day and night, plus truck repair going on all weekend. We are not zoned for commercial. I wanted to know if I can sue for property value loss and

quailty of life loss? I bought out here to enjoy the cows and the fresh air. Who

would want to buy a home next to a truck yard. Also, she doesn’t drive she has 3 employee and 2 mechanics. Is there anything that I can do?

Asked on November 27, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

1) If they are violating zoning, file a complaint with the local building department (which may go by a different name--e.g. housing, constrution, zoning, etc.): they can issue summons or tickets and fine them, which may get your neigbhbor to stop.
2) If the above doesn't work--try it first, because it is simple and free--you can bring a lawsuit based on "nuisance." A "nuisance" in a legal sense is a use of property or activity which is inappropiate for the location and which disturbs neighbors. If you can show that in your area/neighborhood, the use of a property as a commercial truck yard is inappropriate, you can get a court order requiring that the use stop and/or get monetary compensation. Consult with a real estate attorney to explore this option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.