My neighbor’s fence is over the property line.

I signed a statement allowing my neighbor to attach to my fence. I did not know at the time that I signed the statement that my fence was 6″ inside my property line. My neighbor’s fence is now, in most parts, 6″ inside my property line. What can I do to ensure that I retain ownership of my land inside his fence.

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think that it's very important for you to have an attorney in your area review the statement you signed.  There's no way to tell, without reading it all the way through, word for word, exactly what it means and whether it will hold up in court, and the differences in the law on the subject might well matter in that reading.  One place to find the lawyer you need is our website,

It might very well turn out that the statement itself protects you.  The very fact that your neighbor got the statement acknowledges your property rights, and you can't lose the ownership of the land over time if his fence is there with your permission, only if you haven't given permission but do nothing about it, in most states.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.