My neighbor rented out his house to over 10 people. Are there laws restricting the number of tenants?

My neighbor rented out his home to about 10-12 people. It has created a traffic nightmare on an otherwise quiet street. There are cars everywhere and it has become dangerous to drive past the home because there are people coming left and right and standing in the middle of the road. I’m wondering if this could be a public nuisance and/or if the landlord can legally rent to this many people. I thought maybe there could be zoning laws?

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There may well be zoning laws, that restrict how many people can live in a place with a certain amount of floor area.  In many places, though, these rules aren't very restrictive.  But it's certainly worth looking into.

You can't pin the blame on your neighbor, for people standing in the middle of the road, even if they are his tenants.  If it's a chronic condition, you might want to complain to the police;  be prepared for some hostility when the tenants find out it was you that brought the cops around.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.