If my neighbor paved over my property without my permission, does this have to go to court?

He had the company move my marker 2 feet overand paved over my grass by 36 feet down and 1 foot across. I lost a lot of property because of a neighbor told the company to ignore what I told them and go ahead and take the property and he claims it is his now. Is my best bet to take this to court, and can I get

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

1) A neighbor may NOT simply take, alter, damage, improve, confiscate, etc. your property--period. Certainly, there can be an issue as to where the actual boundaries are, but whatever area is yours, cannot be touched.

2) The  way to resolve this is to go to court. You would bring a legal action for both a declaratory judgment, under which the court will officially declare where the boundaries are; and for a monetary damages or compensation against the neighbor (such as for the cost of undoing what he did). You could also sue the contractor for damages, too--if the contractor had any knowledge of an issue, dispute, contrary claim about the boundaries, etc. and went ahead, he may be  liable.

You should consult with an attorney about how best to do this. The lawyer will undoubtedly recommend getting a new survey done. You'd also review old surveys, deeds, etc. The goal is to prove the boundaries.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.