my neighbor is spreading rumors about who my son’s father is and telling other neighbors that i slept with her husband and that he is the father

what can i do about this and the humilation is causing me and my child

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Personal Injury, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT.  I suggest that you pay a lawyer to write a letter to the neighbor explaining that her conduct is unlawful (i.e. slander, negligent infliction of emotional distress, etc.) and will be sued if she does not stop.  Or you can hire a lawyer to sue her for money damages now, beginning with a prejudgment remedy that attempts to put a lien on her home.  I would take immediate action here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.