What to do if my neighbor Is building a pond and is going to run the overflow onto my property?

Can he do this?

Asked on October 10, 2015 under Real Estate Law, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to obtain an injunction to prevent your neighbor's pond from flowing on your property.
An injunction is the appropriate remedy when damages monetary compensation are inadequate.  Damages are inadequate because of multiplicity of lawsuits and land is unique.
Initially, you would obtain a temporary restraining order which would be in effect until a hearing to determine whether a preliminary injunction should be issued which would then be in effect until the court determines whether to issue a permanent injunction.
A court determines whether or not to issue an injunction by balancing the hardship to you if the pond is allowed to flow on your property versus the hardship to your neighbor if the pond is not allowed to flow on your property.  It would appear that the hardship to you would outweigh the hardship to your neighbor especially if the neighbor has a reasonable alternative to allowing the water to flow onto your property.  These legal arguments should be raised in support of granting the injunction.  Another legal argument to raise in support of the injunction is the permanent diminution in value of your property if the neighbor's pond is allowed to flow onto your property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.