If my neighbor has falsely accused me of communicating threats and trespassing, what do I need to do to sue him for making this false claim?

I know he has broken the law in doing this.

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You have two different options.  The first is to file a civil suit for defamation, especially if you were injured by his false statements.  The hardest part of many defamation suits is showing an injury.

If he filed a complaint with law enforcement, you could also file counter-charges for the filing of a false complaint.  This is similar to a defamation suit, except that it is part of the criminal justice system and the remedy is criminal accountability... not the recovery of monetary damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.