If my name is on a birth certficate but I don’t believe I’m the father, what can I do?

I asked for a DNA test and the mother agreed but then she moved to another state. Now, a year later, she talking about child support.

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Family Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are going to have to bring an action to establish parentage for the child.  If she won't voluntarily agree to the DNA test then you ar going to have to go to court and ask for it.  Speak with an attorney as soon as you can.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.