What can i do if I bought a car from my aunt 6 months ago and I’ve been asking for the title and a receipt for my purchase but she won’t give them to me?

Is there anything I can do? I paid her $500.

Asked on February 6, 2013 under Business Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue her. An agreement or contract of sale, whether written or oral/verbal, is enforceable. If  you have complied with your obligations (e.g. paid whatever you were supposed to), then if she has failed to provide the title, she is in breach of contract. You could sue her seeking a court order requiring her to provide you the title. Note that there is no law that a seller must provide you a receipt, however, so you may not be able to get that, though you can get the title, since providing title is part of a car sale.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.