What to do if my name is currently on my ex-husband’s mortgage loan and what rights do I now have in order to rid myself of the obligation?

According to our divorce agreement date almost 5 years ago he was to have the house refinance in his name but he unable to do so. Can I move back to the martial home? What options do I have?

Asked on November 13, 2012 under Family Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unless your name is on title to the home that you are writing about you seemingly have no right to move into it. I would contact your "ex" to see what can be done for the loan to be refinanced so that your name can be taken off of the loan. If he is not cooperative on the subject I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to go over the final marital order of your dissolution to see what recourse you have as to getting your name off of the loan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.