My motorcycle was wrecked on a test drive it has been 5 months with promises to pay but i still don’t have the money what should i do?

It happened in Durant Oklahoma he wanted to drive it that day because he wanted to buy it. He called and said he wrecked the bike and he owed me. He has been promising me payment for 5 months and I’m fed up what can i do?

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Accident Law, Oklahoma


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are owed money and the individual is failing to pay as he should be you have a couple options. You can go through your insurance and attempt to than pursue it with him or you can initiate a lawsuit against him to entice payments.

If you choose the latter option what I suggest is that you contact a local attorney. They will be able to evaluate the damage done, the value of the claim and how best to proceed. You must take into account costs for the attorney, court fees, etc. Than if pursuing this matter legally is still cost effective you will serve him with a summons and complaint and proceed as required legally.

Other than that your only other choice is to continue pursuing it on your own and hopefully he eventually pays. Good luck and feel free to re-post if you have additional questions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.