My mother transferred ownership of her mobile home to me but now she wants me to sell it. That was never what she had requested before. My wife and i live here and pay the space and taxes and everything for the home, it has become our home for 4 years.

Am I obligated to sell my mobile
home which is only in my name and
give up my home just because it is
my mother’s wish? Does she still
have rights to this house. P.s.
we live in California.

Thank you

Asked on September 10, 2016 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If she actually gave you title (and took herself) off, then no, you are not obligated to sell it: in that case, you are the owner, and as the owner can decide what you want to do with it, regardless of your mother's wishes. Once somone gifts something to you and transfers ownership to you, it is yours.
But if she never actually transferred title to you--she just said she would or intended to--then she, not you, is the still the owner and it si her mobile home; in that case, she not, you decides what to do with it and she can sell it if she wants to. (In this case, the fact that you paid the expenses, etc. does not give you any rights to it; in a way, you can view that as having been your rent for the years you lived there.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.