What to do if my mother’s estate was closed 5 years ago but now there are new assets being awarded to her estate via a wrongful death case in which she was named?

I was the executor and I understand that I will need to reopen her estate. However, will I need a lawyer to do this? Can the funds be distributed without a checking account for this one time transaction? Looking for the quickest and less costly way to complete.

Asked on July 2, 2014 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In looking up the various counties in Ohio and their rules, many of them have the forms to re open the estate available online. Are you Montgomery County? Butler County?  Some of the forms ask for an Attorney's signature but you may not need one. As for the checking account, you should protect yourself as Executor and open one since you are going to have to account for the distribution.  If you had an EIN number last time contact your accountant about reinstating it or applying for a new one.  Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.