If my mother recently received an inheritance from her uncle but she owes back child support, will the inheritance be garnished automatically?

The child who received the child is 18 years old and lives in Nevada. My mother lives in Idaho.

Asked on February 21, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Good question. Most likely the inheritance that your mother is to receive from the passing of her uncle will not be automatically levied upon by the district attorney's office for back child support payment. However, there is the possibility that it will be. It all depends upon whether or not the district attorney's office becomes aware of the probate proceeding where your mother is a beneficiary under the Will you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.