If my mother recently decided to take early retirement but wants to supplement her income by starting a business with me, will her SS benefits be affected?

Since this will be a home based business that will be primarily selling clothing and home decor items via ebay, I think a partnership situation would work well for us, but my mom needs to know how this will affect her social security status if this is set up as a partnership vs an LLC. The business probably won’t be generating more than the maximum amount she is allowed to collect and still retain her SS benefits, but we need to make sure we do this correctly, especially in the event that it does generate more than the amount she is allowed to collect. Does the business structure (partnership vs. LLC) matter?

Asked on April 12, 2014 under Business Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your mother's social security monthlypayments will not be affected due to her desire to earn extra supplemental income. As to a busness structure, it all depnds upon the degree of risk she will have from the venture. As such, she should consult with a business attorney in her locality. One can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.