My mother passed on her house was willed to me and my sister what is the next step for us

I have a will that was notarized when my
mother was alive. She will her house to
me and my sister she’s passed on what is
the next step for me

Asked on August 20, 2018 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Your sister can not do anything with your Mother's estate unless she has been officially appointed by the Probate Court.  You need to file your Mother's Will and a Petition to submit the Will for Probate in the county in which she resided at the time of her death.  Once the Executor/Ececutrix is appointed then that person marshall's the assets (gathers them), has assets appraised and then fulfills your Mother's wishes as per the Will.  I suggest getting help.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.