What to do if my mother passed away 2 years ago and was solely on the mortage of her home but now I to transfer the deed to the house into my name?

I want to be able to modify the loan. What are my options?

Asked on November 18, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You cannot modify the mortgage unless the lender agrees to let you do so--a mortgage is a contract, and so needs the consent of all parties, including the lender, to any changes. Therefore, what you need to do is to speak with the lender, explain the situation (including your financies) and what you'd like to do, and see if you can't work it out with them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.