If my mother passed away recently and owned less than $50,000 in personal property, will her estate need to go through probate?

Asked on July 19, 2014 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Most states have procedures for the administration of small estates. These procedures eliminate the need for opening up a formal probate, however they vary from state-to-state. What you can do now is to search online for information relating to small estates in your jurisdiction; most states have websites that can explain eligibiliy requirements and guide you through the process step-by-step. You may also want to contact the county probate court for further information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.