If my mother passed away over a year ago and still had a mortgage, how can I get the house and its property changed over to me?

I have been making the payments.

Asked on June 14, 2014 under Estate Planning, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Did you Mother's estate go through probate?  Did she have a Will?  That is the first step.  The Executor or Administrator (Is she died with out a Will) is the one that has to issue an Executor's deed to the person who inherits the home.  You can continue to pay the mortgage until it is paid off under these circumstances. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.