If my mother passed away but we cannot find her Will, what should we do?

Asked on October 22, 2014 under Estate Planning, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Did you check with the lawyer that drafted the Will?  If he or she kept a copy then there are laws that allow for the copy to be admitted to probate.  You just have to do a little more paperwork.  If you know the contents of the Will you and the other beneficiaries can also agree on the disposition of the proceeds.  The final option is to dispose of the property via the intestacy statute in Indiana, as if she passed with out a Will.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.