If my mother passed away 2 years ago without a Will. what can I do to take control of the estate?

I have 2 sisters. My oldest sister has been living in my mother’s home the whole time. She has never done anything with the estate. She has sold some of my mother’s belongings without consulting either my other sister or myself. I recently found out that the taxes on the property have not been paid, and will be up for sheriff’s sale next year.

Asked on November 2, 2015 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can go to the appropriate probate court (the one in the county in which you mother was domiciled as of the date of her death). You can then submit to be appointed as her "personal reresentaive". If so appointed, you will then be in charge of administering the estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.