Do I have to probate a small estate?

My mother passed and left a savings account with my name on the account; there was no Will. She told me to disburse the funds equally among my siblings, which I plan to do. The only other thing she had was a few pieces of personal property. Do I have to have have her assets declared an “estate” or something legally or can I just settle her bills and distribute her things?

Asked on February 23, 2013 under Estate Planning, New Hampshire


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I don't know how you determine small estate, but you could file a petition for small estate administration with an affidavit of the value of the property. But in light of what your are saying, I would probably do as mom requested, and be done with the distribution. You may want to obtain a signed receipt of distribution from each sibling as to what the are receiving, and keep for your records.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.