How do I receive my inheritance if the executor is not releasing the funds?

My mother passes away about a year ago. She has a Will that states I will receive some inheritance. The lawyer said the executor can disperse the fund.

Asked on August 20, 2014 under Estate Planning, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I am assuming that because the lawyer said the estate was ready for disbursement of funds, tax returns were filed and creditor issues were resolved, etc. If that is the case then you can make a written demand to the Executor to finalize the estate.  If they refuse, then you can request a hearing to do so in the Probate Court.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.