My mother left one of her houses, the one we grew up in, to my sister in the will with a stipulation that when she sold it I would get 25,000.00 shes not selling. How can I get my 25000.00???

Mom stipulated that I would get the
25000 when my sister sold it thinking
she would sell it, but being the single
self centered person she has always
been she has no
Intentions of selling the house

Asked on March 25, 2018 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If the will did not include a time line for when it has to be sold, but merely said that you will get the money if/when it is sold, there is nothing you can do: if the home was left to her without any specified date by which she must sell, she may live in it as long as she likes, and only owes you the money when it is eventually sold. Your mother could made you part owner of the home, required it be sold right away and the proceeds divided between the two of you, stated that your sister could live in it for, say, 2 years, then had to sell, etc., but your mother evidently did not. By leaving it to your sister with no  deadline for selling, she left it up to your sister's discretion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.