What can I do if my mother just passed away but I cannot find her Will?

Asked on July 22, 2015 under Estate Planning, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you have not already done so, question her friends and other family members. If that doesn't prove useful, then check if she had a safety deposit box. If that's not successful, then go through any papers that you can find in file cabinets, desk drawers, etc. If you still don't find a Will, be on the look out for a letter or business card from an attorney; if you find one then contact that person and ask if they drafted your mother's Will. If you can't find any information about an attorney, try to contact any other advisers that your mother may have used such as n accountant of finacial planner financial planner or accountant, possibly they may know something. You can also just start calling attorneys in town to see if they drafted a Will for your mother. Additionally, you can place a "Lost Will" ad in the local paper. Finally, check with the Probate Court in the county where he resided; it is possible that a Will was filed with the Court when it was executed. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.