What to do if my mother is in an assisted living home in another state but it won’t let her visit me on the days that I want?

I want to bring her down here for the holidays but the place she is staying at will not let me pick her up until tomorrow and wants me to bring her back on the first of next month. It is still getting paid has if she was there but it isn’t letting her come due to a dentist appointment according to it.Can they legally keep her from coming for a visit?

Asked on December 4, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon the problems that you have written about concerning the assisted living cernter and your mother which seemingly cannot be resolved with its administration between you and the facility, your next recourse is to consult with your local department of social services in the state where your mother resides about the continuing problems that you have been having with the facility.

Another option is to consult with an attorney that practices elder law in your community. One can be founf on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.