What to do if my mother-in-laws’s brother lied about being the only living relative in regard to their mother’s death and took the entire estate?

Is it possible to got to court to remedy this?

Asked on September 14, 2014 under Estate Planning, Ohio


Christine Socrates / Christine Sabio Socrates, Atty at Law

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is possible for your mother in law to reopen the estate and seek her share of the estate that was wrongfully distributed to her brother. Much more information is needed to adequately answer your questions, therefore, it is is highly recommended that you seek an attorney to review all the facts and relevant information and advise you on your course of action.  

Please contact me if you have further questions or would like a consultation.  

M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Was he appointed as the Personal Representative of the estate?  Did he post a bond?  Is the estate still open?  These are questions that must be answered and you should speak with an attorney as soon as possible.  Being appointed by the Probate Court is a fiduciary position and lying is a breach of that duty.  But there are time limitations as well as practical limitations (like if he spends all the money). So please: get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.