If my mother-in-law was struck by a vehicle in a store parking lot and was injured, should she hire a lawyer or deal with the insurance company herself?

She was pushing 2 buggies of groceries.

Asked on April 11, 2015 under Personal Injury, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable for your mother-in-law to be represented by a personal injury attorney because the insurance companies will try to pay her as little as possible.  Your mother-in-law will have claims to file against two insurance companies (the insurance company for the store and the insurance company for the vehicle that struck her).

Your mother-in-law's personal injury claim against both insurance companies will include compensation for the medical bills, compensation for pain and suffering (an amount in addition to the medical bills) and compensation for wage loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.