How does the maker of a Will change the executor?

My mother has her Will naming myself and my sister as executors, however now she would like to have my sister removed as executor. Will my mother have to have a new Will made up or is there a way to do this without having to redo the whole thing? If so, what are the options?

Asked on October 19, 2015 under Estate Planning, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

To make a minor change to a Will, a whole new Will need not be executed. For a change such as removing 1 of 2 executors, an amendemnt to the exisitng Will can be drafted. Such an amendemnt is known as a "codicil". A codicil can be done by following the procedure outlined in specific state law. You may be able to google for this information or you can contact the applicable probate court for help. You can also consult directly with a local probate attorney. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.